Child Abuse Facts
- A report of child abuse is made every ten seconds.
- Almost five children die every day as a result of child abuse. Approximately 80% are under the age of 1.
- More than 90% of juvenile sexual abuse victims know their perpetrator in some way.
- Child abuse occurs at every socioeconomic level, across ethnic and cultural lines, within all religions and at all levels of education.
- About 30% of abused and neglected children will later abuse their own children, continuing the horrible cycle of abuse.
- The estimated annual cost of child abuse and neglect in the United States for 2007 was $104 billion.
- One-third to two-thirds of child maltreatment cases involve substance use to some degree.
Child Abuse Prevention Project
The Child Abuse Prevention Project at the University of Florida serves the families of North Central Florida with family support and parent education. We are an active member of the community and work to alleviate the conditions that cause child abuse and neglect.
- Alachua County Children’s Advocacy Center
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American Professional Society on the Abuse of Children
- Children’s Advocacy Center of Hernando County
- Children’s Medical Services
- Department of Children and Families
- Early Steps
- Guardian ad Litem
- Jessie’s Place Citrus County Children’s Advocacy
- Kid Central Inc.
- Partnership For Strong Families
- The National Center on Shaken Baby Syndrome